Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Studio Pantry

A brief Twitter conversation last week with @Dafforn, also known as the Kitchen Gardener, led us both to start thinking about organizing our studios as if they were pantries. She was re-stocking her pantry while I was debating whether to re-organize my studio one more time. Thus we came up with the studio pantry idea.

The approach makes sense: stock up on the things you use over and over again; add a good selection of spices; throw in a few exotic ingredients to encourage trying something new and have it all within reach and properly labeled.

My staples -- the salt, pepper, flour and sugar of my textile art -- are pins, needles, thread, buttons, ribbons, beads, scissors, rotary cutters, rulers. Other necessary ingredients are glue sticks, iron-on adhesive, fabric pens, pencils, markers.

The spice and flavorings -- accent fabrics, metallic threads, net or lace overlays, etc. -- are now together as are color-coordinated see-through boxes of large cuts of fabric and tidy baskets holding 2-inch, 3-inch and 4-inch squares and strips.

Tools and utensils are grouped together and the basis of it all, the bolts of fabric and batting, are within reach but not blocking access to the rest of the supplies.

I've struggled for years about how to best organize my studio. I think I've finally found the right idea with the pantry approach: keep everything that you use regularly within reach and put it back where it belongs once the "recipe" is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment